Self – Publishing
To quote from Wikipedia:
William Golding's Lord
of the Flies
was rejected 20 times
before being published.
James Joyce's bestselling Ulysses
was judged 'obscene' and
rejected by several publishers.
also a modern classic by James
Joyce was rejected 22 times
Several of Isaac Asimov's
stories were rejected, never sold, or eventually
Some of Jack Kerouac's
work was rejected as 'pornographic'.
Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen's Chicken Soup for the Soul
"Self-publishing is the publication of any book or other
media by the author of the work, without the involvement of an established third-party
publisher. It is generally done at the expense of the author."
The disadvantages of Self Publishing:
- Operational and financial burden of Self Publishing is on the Author -
sales have to be made directly to distributors;
- Requires understanding of trade and tie ups with Distributors. Most
leading distributors do not support self - published books;
- Promoting and marketing the book is the author’s responsibility;
- Since no third party has vouched for the quality of the content, reviewers
and critics tend to ignore the book;
"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have
something to say." — F. Scott Fitzgerald
This is where Plan D steps in. We help bring, what you have to say, to the Indian market.
We are not a self - publishing option. Self - publishing firms are more or less glorified
printers who offer additional services like typesetting and cover design. In short, we help
you take your book to the audience. With our knowledge of the industry and publishing
expertise, given the backbone of Grey Oak, we provide the author with operational
help in terms of proof - reading, cover design, typesetting, printing, marketing and
distribution. Having a number of services under a single umbrella makes Plan D a viable
co - publishing option for an aspiring author.
Why Co – Publish with Plan D?
The Plan D advantage:
- You've obviously considered other options are you may not have been
able to find a good publisher. This helps take your book to the market
without compromise on quality;
- Your book might have the potential but has not been recognized, or where
publishers have had a full list and are unable to take it on;
- In today's day and age you can easily find people to help you design
covers and edit your book as freelancers. You can bring something attractive to the market, without going through a time consuming process
of getting it accepted by big publishers;
- You're the Boss! You can take the decisions on editorial content and cover
design. Often, writers are at loggerheads with editors and publishers on
changes in content, which you may not want.
The Options offered:
- Leading bookstores and distributors are hesitant to accept such books, this
is where Plan D will help/assist the author in limited distribution;
- Plan D cannot guarantee sales but can help in distributing the books
to leading bookstores across India through our network of reputed
distributors and the strong working relationship we enjoy with leading
stores and online retailers;
- Plan D offers integrated services such as proof - reading, cover design,
typesetting and printing. This saves the author the hassle of arranging
these services individually, the costs of which can be prohibitive.
- Ability to take on and publish books on niche subjects which large
publishers are apprehensive about;
- The book makes it to the market faster with the author as decision maker
on editorial content, cover design and other aspects;
- Plan D will also support the author on its Web page, Twitter and Facebook
Services offered by Plan D come at a very reasonable cost.
- Cover design services are offered by us, but the illustration, picture,
design, etc. is to be provided by the author.
- Option 1 - Typically for a 200-250 page book the cost of printing,
type setting, cover design, proof reading and distribution effort would be
Rs. 85/copy for 600 copies with Plan D. This does not include marketing
support. If required, it would entail a fee of Rs 7,500 for a list of services
(this will be intimated when requested and it does not include publicity);
- Option 2 - Typically for a 200-250 page book the cost of printing,
type - setting, cover design, proof reading and distribution effort
would be Rs. 70/copy for 1200 copies with Plan D. Limited marketing
support in the form of organizing 1-2 Book Reading Events and online
promotions is for Option 2 only.
- Over and above this we will take 15% on Net MRP on sales made through Plan D's distribution efforts on the 1st print run. On 2nd and subsequent print runs this will reduce to 12% on Net MRP on copies sold by/ through our distribution efforts.
- The above mentioned quotes in both options are for a 40,000 – 60,000
- Plan D + - We could also offer customized solutions for coffee table
books, as well as vanity publishing titles that require editorial support
as well as publicity and marketing. The rates will be worked out depending
on the effort estimates based on services required.
The price of the book (MRP) is up to the author to decide. However,
books aimed at a niche audience should preferably be priced between Rs.150
– 300, pricing higher than this is considered unviable, and we would not
support such projects for Option 1 and 2. This category of books can be
considered under Plan D +
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org